The project manager / scrum master pod empowers, consults, and guides sprint teams working in the scrum framework, acting as scorekeeper, scrum coach, and servant-leader. Tasks include:
- Raise blocker visibility with team leads and facilitate resolution
- Schedule and facilitate scrum meetings, sprint reviews, retros, and reports
- Analyze achievable points in a sprint, using historical velocity and burndowns
- Track unplanned work and facilitate showstopper issues
- Facilitate sprint grooming, planning, and resourcing in consultation with product owners
- Day-to-day management of the scrum board
- Update completed work, and report the status of all work on a daily or weekly basis.
- Track work in ZenHub and Github, aligning and synchronizing with product roadmap in AHA.
The project manager / scrum master is not responsible for roadmap, resourcing, or technology decisions. The role is not a direct manager of engineers on the scrum team.
In addition to the above responsibilities, the PM/SM acts as an asset and champion for the pods and their leads.
- Facilitates the resolution of blockers, scheduling meetings, engaging stakeholders, assisting with issues, documentation etc.
- Coordinate and manage any sprint deliverables or reports that require input from the pod lead
- Adjust sprint capacity planning to account for PTO and administrative time
- Provide pods with data around sprint backlog planning and sizing
Patterns We Seek¶
- Empowerment for pods working on problems directly relating to company goals
- Decision forks are surfaced, vetted collaboratively, and decided transparently
- Blockers that require input from various stakeholders have a predictable forum
- A written track record of decisions and deliverables
- Improved information-sharing channels between the engineering teams and other areas of the business
- Effective, streamlined meetings
- Continuous improvement of our products and processes
Patterns We Avoid¶
- Silos or firewalls created between pods or functional roles
- Weighing down engineers with PM / admin overhead
- Ineffective, excessive Zoom meetings and/or inaccessible decisions
- Disparate time zones creating informational deficits
- "I don’t know what to work on today"